Sunday, November 23, 2008

5 Years ago....


was an absolute blur. Drew was just a week old and in the hospital in St. Louis. (For those who don't know, Drew was born with Pulmonary Atresia and a small right ventricle. A Helicopter ride the first day of his life, a series of surgeries and medication every 4 hours for a long time.) I remember taking turns going back and holding his hand. I remember praying more than I ever had in my life. One night I was sitting with him staring at his puffy little face and touching his soft skin. I was just getting ready to walk out so Steph or Scot could come back and he opened his eyes. My stomach dropped. What do I do? I was so torn! I wanted so badly for his mom and or dad to be there, but I didn't want to leave him alone while he was awake. I knew that he would never remember it, but I just couldn't walk away. So I sang to him (You are my Sunshine)as his eyes slowly shut again. It is a moment I will never forget. It wouldn't be much longer and they would wake him up and he was able to come home. I remember telling my mom, "I'm not ready to get pregnant yet." I was ready for a baby, but was I ready for something like this? God knew. He knew that this sweet boy was going to be a huge part of my life. He also knew that this little angel would need a buddy to grow up with. HE knew what I didn't. I was already pregnant. I watched Drew 2 days a week at their house and the others mom and I watched him at the bookstore in our little nursery we set up in the back. The two days when I watched him, we napped together on the couch. He would lay on my chest until my belly got too big and we took some GREAT naps. It was so funny when he would be sleeping and I would see his arm or leg pop up because Claire was kicking him!

He was the talk of the basketball community around here. The Lady Chiefs and their families LOVED that child but also understood the importance of keeping their distance and slathering up in Purel before they even looked at him. Due to his dramatic entrance to the world, we never did get birth announcements made....but we figured a picture on the front page of the USA Today was way better anyway. (When his momma's Lady Chiefs were ranked nationally!)

He has grown into such a handsome little dude. He is smart and incredibly witty. He is the most observant child I know. He met me at the door last week and said, "Chrissy, did you know you are wearing Nanny's boots?" I was wearing boots JUST like a pair my mom has (she was not wearing them at the time) and that was the first thing he noticed! He has been known to walk into a room and say "Oh, I like what you did with that shelf!" Seriously?

I am blessed to be a part of his life. I was taking him home about a month ago and had already dropped the kids off at Grandmas. I started asking him questions.

Me: Drew, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Drew: Tall just like Brian. (My husband who is 6 ft. 9 in.)

Me: I mean what do you want to do to make money?
Drew: Coach my Daddy's football team.

I had to fight the urge to pull over and kiss his face off!
Drew,
We love you to the moon and back!

2 comments:

Nanny said...

Oh why, oh why, do I cry when I read about my babies? You know that I would do ANYTHING to make their lives so perfect, just like I did yours! Oh, if I only had that kind of power.... They will be blessed by God just like you were! This I KNOW!

Adam Beck said...

Drew looks like Scot. Thanks for doing this blog. I know it has been a blessing to them. My mom and Scott's mom are cousins so it makes Scott and me like 1st cousins or something. But here is hoping that Steph gets better soon!