Sunday, October 10, 2010

What I Learned Over Summer Vacation.

1. The most precious gift you can give anyone is the gift of your time. When we die, we take nothing with us. I can't be sure but I imagine (and hope) that you do get to keep all your memories when you get to Heaven. That's all you get. So go make a difference.

2. Over the years, I have seriously underestimated the power of a card or a bouquet of flowers. So send a few.

3. What you sow, so shall you reap. (Okay, I learned that a long time ago but it was proven time and time again this summer) So get to sowin'.

4. People will amaze you. So put yourself out there.

5. People will disappoint you. So put yourself out there anyway.

6. Mostly people will amaze you. See #4.

7. No gesture is too small. I have never been good about stepping up when someone has experienced a loss. I often think "I should take a meal or flowers or send a card," but often I chicken out. I fear the meal delivery like no other. What if they don't like it? What if they already have a meal for that night? What if I give them food poisoning? But I learned that it doesn't matter. As long is it comes from the heart (and is cooked thoroughly) , it doesn't matter. When someone came through the door, it didn't matter what they were bringing...it meant the world. (Especially if it was ANYTHING that Grandma Joyce baked!!!!) So just do it.

8. Kids are still good. In a world filled with negative stories about our youth, kids are still good. So many high school kids were so affected by Steph's story. They also chose to go out and make a difference. Whether it was a fundraiser or a prayer vigil, they were doing something. Kids are still good. Invest time in yours.

9. God will never leave your side. In a time that should have been SOOOO dark, he was there. The devil was and is working overtime to gain control over us, but God is bigger than the devil. God is bigger than us. God is bigger than cancer. Trust in Him.

12. Don't be so quick to judge, the person who just cut you off in traffic may be having the worst day of his or her life. The girl who doesn't return your smile at the grocery store may be waiting for one of her best friends to leave this earth forever. You just don't know. Instead of being mean back....say a prayer for them.

11. Life is fragile. If it's worth saying or doing, don't wait. Call that old friend or relative and make amends. Hug your kids tighter. Read the extra story. Say yes when they ask you to lay with them. Say yes to dessert. Find the joy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope to meet you someday, you are amazing! Thank you for this post (and all the others), we all could use a reminder now and then.

Brooks said...

You never cease to amaze me with your words.. :)

Chrissy said...

Well thank you ladies...your support and KIND words mean a lot to me!