Wednesday, April 27, 2011

2011 Relay For Life

My mom and I went to our captain's meeting last night and I left feeling very encouraged. I have felt a little overwhelmed until now. I have never even attended a relay, much less headed up a team, so I don't really know what to expect. Of course, I want to raise as much money as possible, but I also want to be surrounded that night by ALL of your sweet faces. So even if you haven't joined our team, I want to invite you out to be a part of it. I would love nothing more than to meet every person who has said, "You don't know me but..." and also hug those of you who I DO know but haven't seen in ages. Please consider joining us on the night of May 20th. We will be at Hillcrest High School in Springfield and the event starts at 7 pm and lasts until 9 am the following morning.

I am very excited about our on-site fundraiser. One of the main concerns from our littles when Steph passed away was the fact that they wouldn't be able to talk to her anymore. We told them that anytime they would like to send her a message we could write it on a balloon and send it to Heaven. They know that once we aren't able to see the balloon anymore, she got the message. So the night of the relay we will have balloons that can be purchased for $2.00 per balloon and you can send your own message or prayer to Heaven. They can be messages to Steph and/or any of your loved ones that you would like to honor in this way. We are looking into doing a big balloon release during the "Fight Back Ceremony" and I think it will be a very powerful moment that night. (I'm still working out the details on that part) Be sure to come by campsite #435 and purchase your balloon! I will let you know what time the release will be as soon as I find out for sure.

I am planning a team meeting at my house on May 10th at 6 pm. I am extending the invite to anyone who wants to purchase a luminaria that night! Let me know if you would like to come and decorate your own so it can be displayed with all of ours. Our kids are really looking forward to decorating their own in memory of Steph. They are $5.00 and are lit the night of the relay as the torch passes by. I have heard it is a very moving and emotional experience...so I will be sure and have the tissues on hand!!!

If you are a survivor please join us and walk in the survivors lap. YOU are an inspiration and we would love to have each and every one of you there so we can celebrate YOU!!!!

No comments: