Wednesday, January 9, 2008

One more down!

The only good news about treatment days is that we are one treatment closer to the end. I will tell you one thing, they don't get any easier. My mom told me a story and it has just really been on my mind. She told me because her heart broke for the other lady, but I wanted to share it because I think my mom is pretty amazing. My mom goes every week with Steph for her treatments. She sits with her, gets her warm water to drink, gets her lunch and basically anything she needs. She doesn't do this for recognition and expects absolutely nothing in return. She does it because she loves Steph and wants to do anything possible to make this easier for her. So yesterday she was straightening up and getting everything ready and moved out of the way so they could unhook her. There was one lady left in the room (because they are almost always the last to leave) and she was just watching. When Steph was done, the lady looked at her and said, "You have no idea how lucky you are to have such a wonderful friend. I watch her every single week and it must be so nice to have someone like her." Steph of course replied with, "I KNOW how lucky I am and you don't even know the half of the things she does." The lady then said, "all I have is a 20 year old daughter who has her own life." I don't know this woman and I pray that she finds the support that she needs. (Of course my first reaction was to try to think of a way I could help!) But it just makes you realize how important relationships are. Steph has been a "true blue" friend to my mom. She has been there when my mom needed her. She is a loyal, caring and loving friend. It is a wonderful example of what true friendship is. I think it can serve as a great reminder of how important it is to invest in people. It's just like so many things in life, you get out what you put in. If you give nothing of yourself, be ready to get the same thing back. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this lady hasn't given of herself. I'm just saying that Steph has, and now she is reaping the benefits of being a wonderful friend. Take a minute today and REALLY look around. Is there someone around you that is in need? Maybe it's as simple as a hug or a compliment. Is there someone that you need to call and reconnect with? Just take a minute and call. Invest today, you never know what tomorrow holds.

No comments: